Timber is one of the most common and popular forestry products shipped around the world, in various forms, using general-purpose ships, specialised log carriers, and also in containers..
The global export value of just Sawn Timber Softwoods (one of many different types of timber and forest products) is reported to be around $22 billion out of a total forest product export value of around $270 billion..
Due to the nature of the commodity, timber is usually moved in large quantities across various trade lanes and there are several processes to be followed for the shipment..
Right from order placements, creating the required documentation, transferring the same, booking the cargo with the lines, monitoring the movement of the same and ensuring the supply timelines are met, there are many intricate processes involved..
Many of these processes are still done manually, which results in inefficiencies in the business..
As per industry research, people spend a lot of their daily time on below points
- 40% of their time trying to calculate CIF prices for the product
- 25% sending offers
- 65% drafting documents
- 40% sharing information and trying to stay up to date
- 20% tracking and tracing their shipments
- 80% of those interviewed said they use Excel or Shared Folders to organise their shipment deals and files
- 100% said they communicate using phones and email
- 100% rely on free-tools (not always the most reliable) to track shipments
- 64% of the respondents said sharing or collecting market updates is their largest problem
What if there is a platform that says you can do all of the above seamlessly and more efficiently..
As per Centersource, their Timber Exchange platform can do all of the above and even save you money while doing it.. Here is my review of their platform..
Go to full article >>>