Shipping and Freight Resource says goodbye to 2013
In 2013, this blog
- posted 102 articles
- had 700,000+ page views
- received 600+ comments
- was asked 900+ questions most of which were answered via emails and as posts
I have had a lot of fun writing and discussing various issues on this blog and this is all thanks to the massive and eager participation of the people involved and interested in shipping..
Keep the discussions and questions coming and together we can improve the visibility of our dynamic industry and seek solutions to the common issues that affect our industry..
On the shipping, freight and maritime side of things,
- 2013 saw the MOL Comfort, a relatively new container ship built in 2008, breaking in two and sinking in the Indian Ocean apparently due to structural failure..
- 2013 saw the introduction of the world’s largest ship the Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller of the Triple E series capable of carrying 18,000 TEUs thus changing the dynamics of the container shipping industry forever..
- 2013 saw the announcement of a proposal (pending approval by the various bodies such as the FMC and other regulatory bodies) by the worlds top 3 container operators – Maersk, MSC & CMA-CGM to form a strategic alliance known as the P3 alliance which will give them control of about 40% of the trade on some of the worlds largest trade routes..
- 2013 saw the scourge of piracy shift slightly from the Eastern seaboard of Africa towards West Africa..
- Will the P3 become a reality..??
- Will the pirates move back East..??
- Will the Triple E be overthrown as the worlds largest ship..??
- Will we know the exact reasons why the MOL Comfort, a 5 year old ship, broke so quickly and dramatically..??
2014 holds the answers.. Lets wait and watch..
This is Hariesh Manaadiar signing off for 2013 with loads of thanks to all the readers of this blog for sharing information, for asking questions, for supporting and for participating in making this blog a useful resource to everyone interested, involved and wanting to join the shipping and freight industry..
Wishing everyone all the best for the festive season and the best of health, wealth, joy, happiness and prosperity for the coming new year and
*** End of Article ***