I received a question from one of the readers (Abhisesh) seeking help regarding issuance of House Bill of Lading and Master Bill of lading for his shipment..
What are your views/comments to assist him..??
A shipment has 2 shippers: Shipper A and Shipper B.
Shipper B will deliver the goods to shipper A and then shipper A will load their goods along with shipper B goods in one container.
I will be paying shipper A & B separately.
Now my questions are:
1. In this case how will be the BL issued?
2. Who issues the BL?
3. If MBL and HBL will be issued then how will it be issued?
4. Now with my previous experience with the above situation was:
- Shipper A issued me MBL with shipper A as consignee and it was issued by the shipping line.
- Shipper A again asked Freight Forwarder to issue HBL. 1 HBL with consignee as Shipper A and another HBL with consignee as Shipper B. So, I ended up having 3 BL altogether.
- Now, in my receiving port my clearing agent notified me that the manifest was only done for MBL not for HBL. Therefore, they said they cannot release my container. Later I don’t know how they managed to clear my container. Again, my question regarding this issue is :
5. Do shipping line or freight forwarder needs to manifest all 3 BL?. Is it necessary to manifest all 3 BL? Is this normal?
6. Is such transaction normal where there is 2 shipper but in one container?
7. If yes, what is the best and wise option to choose to get things right this time.